So, I recently have installed Fedora 10 on my home computer. Since there are really some quirks that keep on annoying like hell, I'm trying to summarize whats working and what's not:
- My eclipse and my projects all seem to work with the icedtea VM, a bit surprising, but welcome
- The kde version in the repository comes with a working digikam 0.10.0 nice thing for my photography management. The plugins even work with the 0.10.0 version in this packaging
- I kinda stumbled upon Rhythmbox, seem nice enoug to be usable. I had tried that ages ago, where it was quite bad. And with the many bugs amarok still has in its new version it is viable alternative for me.
- The licensing issues of Fedora are quite annoying. It takes some work to even get mp3 played. Some more to get dvd-playing and Nvidia hardware acceleration. Major annoyance!! Why not let the user decide which licenses he is willing to accept?
- Pulseaudio: I honestly do like the basic idea behind it, but it truly still needs some work. Audio has random lags everywhere. Music from rythmbox, amarok, totem, mplayer .... anything. Videos with mplayer lag. After beeing paused once, mplayer doesn't continue to play a movie and can't even play a video without lags. And surely my machinespeed (3.8Ghz+, 4G ram) is not to blame for those errors
Those are just the major annoyance points. And I didn't even give the testing version a try. That was the normal desktop distribution which is supposed to be working and stable (!) .. I think I'm going back to gentoo, at least there I can watch videos without lags. (Not that this is the first time I gave another distribution a try...)